Tuesday 2 April 2013

Further development for small concept

 
I have decided to approach the Okami yokai character vastly different to how it is traditionally known.  The wolf will not have a realistic figure but more of an abstract block shape to form the body. The features of the face shall not resemble what is traditionally seen as a wolfs face. I want to keep only a few small attributes which could be recognised as wolf like. These features will be its tale, the shape of its eyes and the fur on its back. (most probably)
 
I found myself watching an episode of hoarders on television on the weekend in a zombie like state. My brain was switched off and I was just staring at the screen without thought. The screen eventually presented footage of a baby kitten which had fallen behind a desk in this rubbish filled house so that the owner could not reach the newly born sweetheart. As they picked up the huddled corps of the kitten, I saw that the umbilical cord was still attached and it had flattened and dried almost like a paper mache sculpture. The position which the kitten took resinated with me as did the flatness which the side took which was leaning against the floor.

I envisage the structure of the image to somewhat resemble this with a stiffness and awkwardness of the body of the wolf. Since this type of wolf has completely died out and what is left is the memory of it’s existence as a yokai character, the reference of this poor little kitten in its posture for me, go hand in hand and is a prefect representation of a spiritual entity.
I will present it as if it is leaping through the air, mid pounce onto its victim. Though I want the image to be flat so you could also perceive it to be dead, lying on the ground like the kitten.
Here are some more ref images which i have been looking at for inspiration:

 
 
 
 
 
Age of Omuktlans by Curiot 


                                     A Dog’s Treasure by John Ryrie
 
 
                                           Girl with a Kitten by Lucian Freud
 
 

                               Black Cat Leaping by David Hockney    
 

 
White Byrd by Rona Green
 

                                                   (not sure of title) Adolf Wolfli

No comments:

Post a Comment