Thursday 21 February 2013

Illustration: the ultimate form of creativity


I personally do not believe in a spiritual world so what I can see is reality for me. This is why I love illustration so very much. It is a way for me to go into my mind and search out wonderful, outrageous universes which are so far removed from this reality. The places which I conjure have different rules, strange foreign creatures and magical things which present themselves to me as I wonder through my dreams.

The characters which I create all have different personalities, some devious and cruel, some kind and helpful. The one thing they do have in common though is that they are all creatures which I remember forever.

If you are bored and restless, maybe try something I like to do which helps me immensely get back to my normal happy self. Try creating a strange being which you can make friends with. Give drawing the body a go and then write a couple of personality traits by its side. This way, at least you know you made a new friend today.
Here are some of my favourite creatures which a handful of illustrators have made for us all to enjoy.
                                                          Charles Burns
                                                         
                                                        Anton Marrast

                                                        Nick Sheehy

                                            Daniel Clowes


                                                  Chad Vaangalen

                                                      Joh Hee Taek



 

No comments:

Post a Comment